We are committed to training the next generation of creative, passionate arts professionals by building pathways to careers in the arts for candidates underrepresented in the field of arts administration.
Learn more about City Center’s history, mission, and programs here.
The application for the 2023 Encores! Directing Apprenticeship is open until November 16.
Whether you are an early-career or career-changing arts professional, you can build your knowledge and experience in arts administration with an apprenticeship at City Center.
Receive on-the-job training and learn about the daily operations of a nonprofit performing arts center while working alongside experienced arts administrators.
Our nine-month program offers you plenty of hands-on learning opportunities in Dance Programming, Development, Education, Marketing, and Production Management.
The program runs from September to May and includes paid training. Apprentices are paid $15 per hour for 24 hours a week. Our hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 10am to 6pm. Weekly schedules vary by department. Need-based scholarships are available.
Immerse yourself in the fast-paced production process of our music theater series Encores! and work alongside renowned artists and professionals through City Center’s creative apprenticeship program.
Emerging artists receive first-hand training, direction, and guidance with apprenticeships in Costume Design, Directing, Lighting Design, Music Direction, Scenic Design, and Sound Design.
Through these programs, apprentices will:
- Work directly with a supervisor in their area of focus
- Engage with City Center staff and artists
- Participate in paid training
- Receive professional development
- Build a professional network under the guidance of a designated Mentor
- Participate in City Center's staff initiatives, including anti-racism workshops, committees, and all-staff meetings
- Attend rehearsals and performances, when possible
- Deliver a final group presentation to City Center staff
Qualified program candidates will possess:
- A compelling connection to the program’s mission and purpose
- Current authorization to work in the US
- A willingness to learn
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- The ability to take direction and work both independently and collaboratively
- Flexible availability that includes some nights and weekends
- Some previous experience or education in the field for which you apply
How to Apply
The application for the 2023 Encores! Directing Apprenticeship is now open.
The Directing Apprentice will work closely with the Directors and Associate Directors of Dear World, Lionel Bart’s Oliver! and The Light in the Piazza. They will attend rehearsals and be present for production meetings throughout rehearsal and tech. The Directing Apprentice will provide note-taking support, may be asked to run lines with actors, or stand in for actors who are not present while blocking is being reviewed. The Apprentice will gain an intimate look into how directors synthesize dynamics between all creative departments and manage time within truncated rehearsal processes.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 at 6PM
If you’d like to stay informed about City Center apprenticeship opportunities, please add your name to our email list.
Questions about the program? Email Education@NYCityCenter.org.