New York City Center is committed to training the next generation of creative, passionate arts professionals by building pathways to careers in the arts for candidates from underrepresented communities.
Early-career or career-changing individuals participate in a 9-month program at City Center, learning about the daily operations of a non-profit performing arts center while working alongside experienced arts administrators. Openings may be in any of the following departments: Education, Development, Marketing & Communications, and Dance Programming. The program runs from September to May and includes paid training. Apprentices are compensated $15 per hour for 20 hours a week. Weekly schedules vary by department. The administrative office is open Monday-Friday from 10am-6pm.
Need-based scholarships are available. To qualify, applicants must provide either a recent FAFSA Student Aid Report or IRS 1040 Individual Income Tax Return on their apprenticeship application.
Emerging artists are immersed in the fast-paced production process of Encores! or Encores! Off-Center. Apprenticeships are available for Costume Design, Directing, Lighting Design, Music Direction, Scenic Design, and Sound Design. The program includes pre-production and paid training. Apprentices are compensated $15 per hour. Schedules vary by department and production schedule.
Through these programs, apprentices will:
- Work directly with a mentor in their area of focus.
- Engage with City Center staff and artists.
- Participate in paid training.
- Receive professional development.
- Observe rehearsals and performances, when possible.
- Deliver a final presentation to City Center staff.
Highly qualified program candidates will possess:
- A compelling connection to the program’s mission and purpose
- Current authorization to work in the U.S.
- A high school diploma/GED equivalency
- Willingness to learn
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and work both independently and collaboratively
- Flexible availability that includes some nights and weekends
- Some previous experience or education in the field for which you apply
Questions about the program may be sent to Education@NYCityCenter.org.